University Distinguished Professor &
Alfred Gessow Professor in Aerospace Engineering &
Director Alfred Gessow Rotorcraft Center
University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
Ph: 301.405.1122 | Fax: 301.314.9001
Multidisciplinary research in rotorcraft aeromechanics with focus on structural dynamics, aeroelasticity, smart structures and micro air vehicles.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1974-77)
Sc. D. in Aeronautics & Astronautics
Thesis: "Nonlinear Dynamic Response of Wind Turbine Rotors"
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India (1966-68)
M.E. with Distinction in Aeronautical Engineering
Thesis: "A Study of Some Problems in Panel Flutter"
- Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh, India (1961-65)
B. Sc. Aeronautical Engineering
- National Aerospace Laboratory, Bangalore, India (1966-74)
Scientist in Structural Sciences Division
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sept. 1974 - May 1977)
Research Assistant, and later Post-Doctoral Fellow in Aero & Astro
- NASA Ames Research Center (June 1977 to May 1978)
National Research Council Post-Doctoral Fellow
- Stanford University (June 1978 to October 1981)
Senior Research Associate at NASA/Stanford University Joint Institute of Aeronautics and Acoustics
- University of Maryland (October 1981 - Present)
Department of Aerospace Engineering
Taught the following undergraduate and graduate courses
Committee member for several Ph.D. and M.S. dissertations in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical and Civil Engineering Departments.
Professional Societies Membership:
- JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN HELICOPTER SOCIETY
Associate Editor, 1987-91.
- JOURNAL OF AIRCRAFT
Associate Editor, 1987-cont.
Guest Editor, December 1990 and January 1991 Issues.
Member Editorial Advisory Board, 2002-cont.
- VERTICA, THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ROTORCRAFT AND POWERED LIFT AIRCRAFT
Member Editorial Advisory Board, 1987-91.
- SMART MATERIALS AND STRUCTURES JOURNAL
Member Editorial Board, 1994-2000.
Guest Editor, February 1995 Issue.
- JOURNAL OF INTELLIGENT MATERIAL SYSTEMS AND STRUCTURES
Associate Editor, 1997-cont.
- SADHANA, AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL IN ENGINEERING SCIENCES
Member Editorial Board, 1991-95.
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF AEROSPACE ENGINEERING
Member Advisory Board, 2007-11.
- AMERICAN HELICOPTER SOCIETY
Dynamics Committee Member, 1982-1986, 1991-95, 1999-2002, 2008-12.
Deputy Chair Dynamics Committee, 1984-1986, 1991-93.
Chairman Dynamics Committee, 1993-95.
Member AHS Award Committee, 1991-94, 2011-cont.
Member Technical Council, 1994-97
Member Education Committee, 1995-cont.
Chairman Education Committee, 1995-97
Member Vertical Flight Scholarship Committee, 1996-00.
Technical Advisor Federal City Chapter, 1992-cont.
Faculty Advisor, UM Student Chapter, 1983-93, 2000-cont.
Test and Evaluation Technical Committee Member, 2003-11.
UAV Committee Member, 2006-cont.
- AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS
Member Technical Committee on Adaptive Structures & Materials, 1993-cont.
Deputy Chairman Adaptive Structures & Materials Committee, 1996-98
Chairman, Adaptive Structures & Materials Committee, 1998-00
Member Aerospace Division Executive Committee, 2000-04
Chairman of Aerospace Executive Committee, 2002-03
Member Spirit of St. Louis Medal Selection Committee, 2000-05.
Member Guggenheim Medal Award Selection Committee, 2003-cont.
Guggenheim Medal Award Selection Committee, Vice-Chair (04), Chair (05)
Member Congressional Aviation Committee, 2002-cont.
Member Adaptive Structures Prize Selection Committee, 2002-10.
- AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF AERONAUTICS AND ASTRONAUTICS (AIAA)
Member of Committee on Structural Dynamics, 1994-97, 2004-cont.
Member of Technical Committee on Adaptive Structures, 1997-cont.
- AIAA/ASME/ASCE/ACS/AHS STRUCTURES, STRUCT-URAL DYNAMICS AND MATERIALS CONFERENCE AND ADAPTIVE STRUCTURES FORUM
32nd Conf., Baltimore, MD, April 1991, Organizer Work-in-Progress Sessions
34th Conf. San Diego, CA, April 1993, Member Organizing Committee, Rotorcraft Session Chairman
35th Conf., Hilton Head, SC, April 1994, Member Organizing Committee, Session Chairman
36th Conf., New Orleans, April 1995, Member Organizer Committee, Organizer Work-in-Progress Sessions
37th Conf., Salt Lake City, UT, April 1996, Technical Chairman Adaptive Structures Forum
38th Conf., Kissimmee, FL, April 1997, General Chairman Adaptive Structures Forum
39th Conf., Long Beach, CA, April 1998, Chair for 3 Sessions
40th Conf., St. Louis, MO, April 1999, Chair for 3 Sessions
41st Conf., Atlanta, GA, April 2000, Session Chair
42nd Conf. Seattle, WA, April 2002, Chair for 3 Sessions
43rd Conf. Denver, CO, April 2003, Session Chair
- SPIE’s INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON SMART STRUCTURES AND MATERIALS
1993 Conf., Albuquerque, NM, Feb. 1993, Session Organizer
1st Symposium, Orlando, FL, Feb. 1994, Session Organizer
2nd Symposium, San Diego, CA, Feb. 1995, Technical Chairman Smart Structures & Integrated Systems Conf.
3rd Symposium, San Diego, CA, Feb. 1996, Technical Chairman Smart Structures & Integrated Systems Conf., Symposium Executive Co-Chair
4th Symposium, San Diego, CA, Feb. 1997, Symposium Executive Co-Chair
5th Symposium, San Diego, CA, Feb. 1998, Symposium Executive Chair
6th Symposium, Newport Beach, CA, March 1999, Symposium Executive Chair
7th Symposium, Newport Beach, CA, March 2000, Session Chair and Member Technical Organizing Committee
8th Symposium, Newport Beach, CA, March 2001, Session Chair and Member Technical Organizing Committee
12th Symposium, San Diego, March 2004, Member Strategic Committee
- WORKSHOP ON DYNAMICS AND AEROELASTIC STABILITY MODELING OF ROTOR SYSTEMS (ARO)
1st Workshop, Georgia Tech, Dec. 85, Session Chairman and Member Organizing Committee and Panel Member for Future Research Session
4th Workshop, University of Maryland, Nov. 1991, Technical Chairman
- SECOND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ROTORCRAFT BASIC RESEARCH
University of Maryland, College Park, MD, Feb. 1987, Technical Chairman
- AMERICAN HELICOPTER SOCIETY
41st Annual Forum, Fort Worth, TX, May 1985, Dynamics Session Organizer & Chairman
2nd Decennial Specialists’ Meeting on Rotorcraft Dynamics, NASA Ames, Moffett Field, CA, Nov. 1984, Session Chairman & Organizer
AHS Technical Specialists Meeting on Advanced Rotorcraft Technology and Life Saving Activities, Utsunomiya, Japan, Nov 2002, Organizing Committee Member
61st Annual Forum, Grapevine, TX, June 2005, Test & Evaluation Sessions Organizer & Chairman
- EUROPEAN ROTORCRAFT FORUM
17th Forum, Berlin, Germany, Sept. 1991, Dynamics Session Chairman
23rd Forum, Dresden, Germany, October 1997, Dynamics Session Chairman
25th Forum, Rome, Italy, Oct. 1999, Dynamics Session Chairman
26th Forum, Hague, Netherlands, Sept. 2000, Dynamics Session Chairman
- INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ADAPTIVE STRUCTURES
9th Conf., Boston, MA, November 1998, Member Organizing Committee
10th Conf., Paris, France, November 1999, Member Organizing Committee
11th Conf., Nagoya, Japan, November 2000, Member Organizing Committee
12th Conf., College Park, MD, November 2001, General Chair
13th Conf., Potsdam, Germany, November 2002, Member Organizing Committee
14th Conf., Seoul, Korea, October 2003, Member Organizing Committee
15th Conf., Bar Harbor, NH, October 2004, Member Organizing Committee
Member Organizing Committee: 1998-cont.
- ITR METHODOLOGY ASSESSMENT WORKSHOP (ARMY)
NASA Ames, July 1988, Panel Member (Future Research Rotor Dynamics)
- INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON AEROSPACE SCIENCES AND ENGINEERING
Bangalore, India, December 1992, Organizing Committee Member
- WORKSHOP ON SMART STRUCTURES (ARO)
1st Workshop, Arlington, TX, Sept. 1993, Organizing Committee Member
2nd Workshop, University of Maryland, Sept. 1995, General Chairman
3rd Workshop, VPI & State University, Sept. 1997, Organizing Comm. Member
4th Workshop, Penn State, August 1999, Organizing Committee Member
- US-EUROPEAN COMPETITION & WORKSHOP ON MICRO AIR VEHICLES (MAVs)
1st Workshop, Elmau Castle, Germany, Sept. 2005, Organizing Comm. Member
- SPIE FAR EAST & PACIFIC RIM SYMPOSIUM ON SMART MATERIALS, STRUCURES & MEMS
Bangalore, India, December 1996, Organizing Committee Member
- ARMY SCIENCE BOARD
Study Group: Army After Next: Feasibility Study of Autonomous Cargo Rotorcraft (1997-98)
Member Small Arms Industrial Base Study (Senate Investigation), (1999)
Member US Army Achievement Awards (1999)
Member ASB Summer Study: Mobility Operations (1999-2000)
Member Joint Transport Rotorcraft Review Committee (2000)
Member ASB Summer Study: Power Issues (2000-2001)
Member Navy Aging Aircraft Review Committee (2001)
Member Future Aviation for Army Study, (2002)
- BOARD of ARMY SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY
Technology Challenges for Micro Air Vehicles, Organizing Member, Dec 2004.
- DoD AIR PLATFORM TARA REVIEW
Member Review Committee (2006)
- Association of the United States Army’s Institute of Land Warfare: Future of Army Aviation: Invited Panelist on “Technology Development: Now, Pending, Future,” Jan 9, 2013.
- National Academy of Engineering (NAE)
Member AERONAUTICS & SPACE ENGINEERING BOARD (ASEB) 2007-12.
Member Aeronautics Research and Technology Roundtable Board, 2011-cont.
Member: Recapturing NASA’s Aeronautics Flight Research Capabilities, 2011-12
NASA DECADEL SURVEY OF CIVIL AERONAUTICS 2005-06; Member Steering Committee, Member Structures & Materials Committee
Member: Fostering Vision for the Future: A Review of NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts Committee; 2009-10.
- NASA AMES RESEARCH CENTER
Member Army/NASA Rotorcraft Peer Review Committee, August 1999, August 2000
Member Rotorcraft R&T Road Map Committee, 2004
- DAIMLER CHRYSLER
Member Peer Review Committee for Actuators & Sensors (S&T), Stuttgart, Germany, December 1999
- DAVID W. TAYLOR NAVAL SHIP RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT CENTER
Consultant to X-Wing Project (1983-1990)
Consultant Tail Rotor Performance of Navy Helicopters (1991-94)
Consultant Rotor Head Fault Detection (1994-96)
- McDONNELL DOUGLAS HELICOPTER COMPANY
Consultant for Design Development of a Smart Rotor (1994-01)
- BOEING HELICOPTER COMPANY
Consultant for Active Rotor Test and Evaluation (2007-08)
- KAMAN AEROSPACE CORPORATION
Consultant for Tab-Actuated Flap Rotor Development (2004-05)
- PROGENY SYSTEMS CORP
Consultant for Development of Rotorchute (2003-06)
Consultant for Smart Rotor Development for Swashplateless System (2003-07)
- FlexSys Inc.
Consultant for Parametric Design Studies for Primary Rotor Controls with Conformal Trailing-Edge Flap (2006)
- AVX CORPORATION
Preliminary Design of a Personal Helicopter (2004-07)
- ROB & ROB
Helicopter Accident Investigation, expert witness (2005-06)
- NORTON WHITE (Australia)
Expert Witness For Rotor Investigation (2007)
- DOD ROTARY WING TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT APPROACH FOR YEAR 2000 & YEAR 2005
Committee Member, 1994-96.
Member Rotorcraft R&T Roadmap for Army, 2004
- ARMY RESEARCH OFFICE, NSF, NRC, AFOSR, NASA
Reviewer Research Proposals, 1983-cont.
Service: Community Service
- One week short course & Consulting on “Helicopter Aeromechanics and Advanced Designs” at Korea Aerospace Research Institute (KARI), Daejeon, Korea, June 27-30, 2011.
- One week consulting on “Helicopter Rotor Designs” at Turkish Aerospace Industries (TIA) at Ankara, Turkey, December 12-16, 2011, Dec 12-19, 2012.